Providing Solutions for Barrier-Free Access
JENSEN HUGHES provides Accessibility Consulting Services to design teams, property owners, and facility managers including peer reviews of design plans for new construction and alterations, assessments of existing buildings and properties, and recommendations for barrier removal. We deliver solutions for compliance with accessibility laws, codes and standards, such as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the 2010 Standards for Accessible Design, the Fair Housing Act (FHA), and Building Codes.
New Construction Plan Reviews & Design Support
In design for new construction, authorities having jurisdiction are enforcing Federal, State, and Local accessibility laws, codes and standards, including those of the International Building Code, Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Housing Act, HUD, California Building Code, Texas Accessibility Code, and more. Complying with all applicable standards is the shared responsibility of the design team, developer/contractor, and property owner. Taking a proactive approach to accessibility compliance is vital for your project’s success with the regulatory approvals process and for managing the risk of future claims.
JENSEN HUGHES supports clients to develop a compliant design by:
- Establishing accessibility criteria and, if needed, by helping to determining which of many laws, codes, and standards are applicable to the project
- Reviewing architectural plans throughout the design process
- Identifying compliance issues and providing direction to the design team on how to correct elements of non-compliance before the final documentation and construction phases.
- Facilitating success with regulators by providing a final accessibility review prior to submission to the permitting authority.
- Helping to mitigate risk
Accessibility Assessments of Existing Buildings
In existing buildings, requirements for accessibility compliance may depend on a number of factors – however, readily achievable improvements to remove existing barriers are required for all buildings. In addition, alterations may trigger the need to bring building elements into compliance with current accessibility standards. A comprehensive analysis of existing conditions is an essential tool for:
- Identifying compliance issues
- Determining feasibility, and
- Defining a transition plan for bringing your property into compliance by prioritizing the necessary improvements to remove barriers.
JENSEN HUGHES performs detailed field surveys of existing buildings and properties to evaluate accessibility compliance. Survey results are then analyzed and summarized into reports which include recommendations to remedy deficiencies and remove barriers to accessibility. Our specialists assist in identifying accessibility issues and in developing strategies to provide accessibility to the maximum extent feasible, in order to help manage the risk of claims against your property.
Areas of Expertise and Certifications
We have personnel specifically trained in accessibility consulting, with certifications such as California Certified Access Specialist (CASp) and ICC Accessibility Inspector. As part of our implementation services, we assist clients with accessibility assessments like ADA Transition Plans and Self Evaluations. JENSEN HUGHES has expertise with the application of numerous accessibility laws, codes, and standards, including these below and more:
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Architectural Barriers Act (ABA)
- 2010 ADA and ABA Standards for Accessible Design
- Fair Housing Act (FHA) – Fair Housing Act Guidelines
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards (UFAS)
- International Building Code (IBC)
- ICC/ANSI A117.1 – Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities
- State-specific Accessibility Regulations
Contact Us Today:Contact us today using our online form or by contacting one of our many regional branches. For specific questions regarding JENSEN HUGHES’ accessibility consulting services, please contact: Ashley Pitts firstname.lastname@example.org 303-439-0485