Can't find what you're looking for? Try Searching »
Our environmental engineers have extensive experience in identifying, evaluating, comparing and selecting alternatives to mitigate the environmental, safety and health (ESH) risks posed by chemical compounds. Although regulatory pressures may be driving the alternatives analysis, we understand that it is critical to consider the functional, technical, and economic feasibility of alternatives prior to substituting any material or product. We help our clients to ensure that alternatives meet their unique performance requirements, and we develop business cases to demonstrate the life cycle costs and benefits of each decision. Alternatives identification and evaluation is one of the three interrelated aspects of our approach to material and process assessment.
Areas of Expertise
- Employ subject matter experts in the ESH effects of a variety of products, including paint systems, surface coatings, solvents, fire suppressants, firefighting foams, refrigerants, explosives, propellants, pyrotechnics, consumer products, and many others.
- Leverage our wealth of knowledge in these markets to recommend integrated solution sets for clients in need of sustainable alternatives.
Alternatives Analysis Method
- Keep ahead of changing regulations and lead broad market shifts by adopting alternatives that are not only compliant but low risk and truly sustainable.
- Recommend removing or reducing the amount of chemical contained in a product; reformulating or replacing a product to eliminate the use of a chemical; redesigning the manufacturing process, engineering controls and administrative controls associated with a product to reduce the risk of chemical release or exposure; or any combination of the above.
- Help to drive the revision of relevant military, federal, commercial and industry codes, specifications and standards to incorporate the appropriate ESH criteria and to prevent the market from reverting to non-compliant and unsustainable products
Making a Business Case
- Develop strong business cases to inform critical management decisions.
- Weigh the quantitative life cycle costs and benefits of each alternative in comparison to the status quo, while also accounting for qualitative factors that are equally important to our clients’ decision-making process.
- We have prepared and successfully defended business case analyses for a wide variety of alternatives, including several multi-million dollar material substitution efforts for the U.S. military.