JENSEN HUGHES is a Leader in Providing Corporate R&D Solutions
JENSEN HUGHES is unique in the field of fire science and engineering through our ability to develop, test, assess, and implement fire protection concepts and products through our testing capability. Whether it is a forensic issue, a new product roll out, or a special hazard requiring a unique fire protection strategy, we have the testing capability and experience to solve the most challenging problem. Perhaps you are involved in an industry with a regulatory or code requirement which does not address your technology. Or, you have a new product but are unsure of how to gain approvals. You may have a new process or equipment design which isn’t considered in current code provisions. You are an architect or engineer who requires acceptance testing of a smoke control system. An accident has occurred which requires a thorough, unbiased technical analysis.
We can help solve your problems with our fire testing and research capabilities, and our experienced, internationally recognized staff.
The Leader in Fire Testing and Research
JENSEN HUGHES’ broad fire testing and research capabilities are demonstrated by our:
- 12,000 sq ft laboratory facility with bench hoods, a cone calorimeter, several hood calorimeters, a furnace, a moveable ceiling apparatus, and several test enclosures including a 33 ft x 33 ft x 10 ft computer room mock-up
- Breadth of technical areas of expertise, from basic and developmental work through prototyping and commercial applications
- Experience in working for and with the world’s leading fire protection laboratories and agencies
- Demonstrated ability to conduct tests at any location or under any condition
- Results which are reflected in product approvals, code changes, and acceptance by regulatory and approval authorities
- Cutting-edge development and application of the science and practice of fire protection engineering as demonstrated by numerous awards and citations
- Publications in the peer reviewed, scientific literature
- Presentations at international technical conferences
Fire Performance of Aluminum Structural Materials
Shipbuilding is seeing an increased use of aluminum structural materials that are manufactured by extrusion rather than traditional welded steel plate and beams. JENSEN HUGHES performed a large research project looking at how these structural materials perform under fire conditions. 3 ft x 3 ft sections of structure were placed on the face of the JENSEN HUGHES furnace and loaded with hydraulic ram. Digital image correlation using speckle painting of the test sections was used to measure deflections as function of loading and temperature.
Smoke Detection on Beamed Ceilings
In support of developing improved codes and standards, JENSEN HUGHES conducted a series of fire tests to investigate the performance of smoke detection on beamed ceiling. A 44 ft x 12 ft moveable ceiling was built in the JENSEN HUGHES test lab. Different configurations of beam depth, beam spacing, and ceiling height were examined to determine the recommended spacing for smoke detection. This ceiling has since seen use in projects investigating sprinkler performance on sloped ceilings and sprinkler performance on cloud ceilings.
Clean Agents for Data Centers
For this project, JENSEN HUGHES engineers used our 1,100 sq ft Computer Room Mock-Up to examine the effectiveness of clean agents for use in data centers. A commercially available clean agent was tested for its effectiveness in suppressing a fire in a mock data center. Standard sprinkler systems were also tested for comparison.
Related Experience includes:
- University Research and Learning Centers
- Life Sciences Research Facilities
- R&D Facilities
- Technology Research Parks
- Biotech Facilities
- Pharmaceutical Facilities
- Fire Pre-Planning Services for Power Plant, Transmission and Distribution Facilities
Contact Us Today:
Contact us today using our online form or by contacting one of our many regional branches. For specific questions regarding JENSEN HUGHES’ Fire Testing and Research services, please contact: